Building Permits


Any structure or building having an area greater than 10 metres square (108 sq. feet) shall require a building permit prior to any construction, renovation or demolition commencing. Regardless of size, any new structure that is to be attached to an existing building, and any deck that is 0.6 metres (2 feet) above grade, also require a permit. All construction must follow the Ontario Building Code and must meet or exceed its criteria for construction and demolition. It is the responsibility of the building permit holder to meet these requirements     

For information on Building Permits in Ontario please see the Citizens's Guide to Building Permits published by the Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing.    

The following information is applicable to Building Permits in the Township of Gillies, including application forms.

Application Forms

Building Permit Application - this form to be submitted to CBO or Municipal Office, together with other required documents in order to apply for a building permit     

Sewage System Installer Schedule 2 - this form is to be submitted with an application when there is a proposed construction or alteration of a sewage system. Sewage system permits are required and are issued by the Thunder Bay District Health Unit Septic Field Division 625-7990    

Declaration of Applicant - this form to be submitted with every building application. By signing and submitting this form, the applicant acknowledges their responsibilities as a permit holder    

Authorization of Owner - this form to be used by the owner(s) to authorize an agent, or another owner to apply for a building permit on their behalf

Information and Application Guidelines

Building By-law 2013-720 - sets out the policy to apply for a building permit, including what comprises a complete application, inspections, etc.    

Schedule of Building Permit Fees - fees must be submitted with all applications before a permit will be issued   

Advice to Builders - this document provides information on how to apply for a building permit and what information is required to be submitted    

Required Permit Drawings - this document sets out what drawings are to be submitted with a permit application    

Required Inspections - this document sets out the stages of construction at which the applicant must call for inspection; this form to be completed by CBO and given to applicant when the permit is issued    

Declaration of Non-Occupancy - this form to be submitted when a permit is to be renewed after the one-year expiry    

Commitment to General Reviews by Architect and Engineers - this form to be submitted with a building permit application when Division C, Section 1.2 of the Code applies (all buildings over 600m2 in gross area or three (3) storeys in building height; or buildings for assembly or care or detention occupancy); or for any building containing specialized equipment; or any arch designed construction or component that is an engineered system.    

Ministry of Transportation Building and Land Use Permit - View the MTO's Building and Land Use Policies to see if you need a permit from the MTO.